Baby suffering from high fever and shivers. What is wrong?

Question
hello sir,

my baby suffering fever with 102F and shivering

hello sir

plz reply immediately ,my suffering fever with 103f fever.the age was 1.2 years
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 32 minutes later

Thanks for your query. I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Fever has traditionally been defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38.0 C. Temperatures measured at other sites are usually lower. Further fever itself is not life-threatening, unless it is extremely and persistently high, such as greater than 107 F (41.6 C) when measured rectally.
It is caused by common infections which are not serious, that to fever of 102 F and of one day duration is rarely serious.

So I advise you to first reduce the temperature below 102 F, over the counter anti pyretic like paracetamol drops can be used. Dosage and frequency instructions are usually printed on the label, you may follow that. The usual dosage is 15mg/kg body weight/per dose. It can be given thrice or four times a day. You may continue this over atleast 24 hours.

In addition the following measures can be useful:

1. Baby should not be overdressed indoors, better to dress the child in a single layer of clothing, and then cover the child with a sheet or light blanket.
2. Sponge bath in lukewarm water will help reduce a fever. Make sure the child does not become dehydrated. Frequent milk or water intake should be encouraged.
3. Monitor temperatures frequently.

I also encourage you to see your doctor if fever is persistent, dehydration occur and when baby is throwing convulsion.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Baby suffering from high fever and shivers. What is wrong? 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

plz advice the some Medecines Related Fever ,my Baby Age is 1.2 Years

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 7 hours later

Sorry for answering late.

As mentioned above over the counter anti pyretic like paracetamol drops can be used. You can use Crocin syrup ( which has a concentration of 125 mg of paracetamol in 5 ml ). Dosage is 15mg/kg body weight/per dose. So if your child is 14 kg, the dose becomes 210 mg in every dose. If you are using Crocin syrup mentioned above, it would mean 1.5 tsp ( with every tsp being 5 ml). It can be given thrice or four times a day. You may continue this over atleast 24 hours.

More importantly, please take your child to a physician or a pediatrician immediately. It is extremely important as small children can get sick very soon.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.