Baby having cough and double ear infection. What treatment should be done?

My 9 month old daughter has been coughing for weeks. Had a double ear infection that was treated with amoxycillin and got better for about 5 days. She was sick again and went to the dr and found out she had strep and ear infections are back. Now she is coughing very hard and often vomits everything up at the end of each spell. If there has been a fever, it has been mild. We don't know where to get answers but she is too little for this and we are debating going to another doctor or for outpatient services.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

The description of your daughter's problem suggest that she has an upper respiratory tract infection which needs to be treated. The best course would be to consult the doctor and put her on:
1. An antibiotic, say amoxycillin,if required
2. A decongestant cough syrup
3. Syp. paracetamol for fever
4. Steam inhalation
Examination by the doctor will confirm the correct course of action and doses.

Now the time has come when your daughter is bound to have frequent attacks of upper respiratory tract infection. However, every time she will not need an antibiotic or aggressive treatment. The reason for this being that the inherent immunity she acquired at birth is waning and she has to develop her own immunity which will develop when she has infections. Ensure that she has a good nutritious and wholesome diet.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may or if you would like to share any other information.

Wishing your daughter all the best...