Baby 3 months old, having itchy gums. Remedy?

We have a 3 month old baby who has itchy gums. Could you please suggest some remedy for it?
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 39 minutes later

Thanks for your query

I can feel your concerns for a little baby with itchy gums.
Application of miconazole ointment over the gums - just apply it at gums with the help of your little finger and also over the soft palate three times a day for five days can be helpful in some cases. That being said, I would like to know the following details:

1. Do you have family history of allergies?
2. Is your child feeding well?
3. Do you find any redness or ulcers over the gums?

If you have any other query i will be honored to reply that.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Baby 3 months old, having itchy gums. Remedy? 20 hours later
Hello Doctor

Thanks for the quick reply.
As far as allergies are concerned. My wife usually has runny nose in cold weather, which our child seems to have inherited. Other than that I don't know of any.

He is also feeding well and gaining wait consistently as per the charts given to us.

There are no redness or ulcers in the mouth. My suspicion is that he may be teething a little early. He tries to suck on his hand or whatever his mouth can reach. When we don't let him do that, he becomes irritable.

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if there is anything else we should take care of.

Thanks a lot
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later
Thanks XXXXXXX for your follow up

Actually this is a normal mile stone of development in which baby starts to recognize his own body parts. Putting fingers or taking objects to the mouth is normal for age , do not worry about that.

Well do not give him small objects or sharp things they are XXXXXXX for babies.

Keep good care of hygiene , do breast feed the baby that will solve multiple issues.

Hope I have made my self clear. If you do not have any other clarifications you can close the discussion and rate the query.