BP patient with cold. Got pulled muscle in leg, unable to talk. Prescribed cough syrup. Any thoughts?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
80year women has been down with cold. Today she suddenly got a muscle pull in her leg and was unable to talk. She is a bp patient. What could be the reason. Dr has prescribed cough syrup since there is a lot of phlegm
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 2 hours later
I will be glad to assist you, however I need further information to understand the problem better.

Is she getting fever? Feeling breathless?

Is she been now able to walk or does it hurt a lot when she tries? Any weakness in any other area of the body? Any previous difficulty with speech or vision? Is her speech better now? Does she have any pain in hip or knee joints?

Also, can you tell me if her blood pressure is under good control or not. What medications she is on?

Please revert at your earliest convenience with answers to my queries.

Dr Tejas