BMI showed overweight. How to reduce weight?

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Am 167 CM and 73 KG . My BMI index shows that am overweight . After my marrige 1.5 years ago) I have increased my weight from 67 to 74 . I have been trying to reduce the weight but not much progress.

Please suggest me plan to reduce my weight .

Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Grace Abraham 2 hours later
Welcome to HealthcareMagic

According to your height and weight , your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 26.2 kg/m ,which lies in the overweight category. The normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m. Ideal body weight for your height should be from 63 kg to 68 kg. Initially you can have a target of losing half kilo in a week, which will aid in reducing 2 kg in a month. Gradual reduction of weight will help not to regain the lost weight.
It is necessary for you to have some diet modifications and lifestyle changes in order to reduce your weight. Your diet should be high in fiber, which includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXXX foods and low in fat. Include more of raw fruits and vegetables in the diet , avoid saturated fats and oily fried food stuffs. Keep yourself much hydrated, take at least 3-4 litres of water every day.
The following are some simple tips that you can modify in your daily routine:
Take two egg white’s instead of one egg yolk.
Use only skimmed milk, buttermilk, low fat butter (e.g.: nutrilite), low fat chesse.
Choose only baked or grilled non-veg items in order to reduce the fat content.
Take at least two fruits in a day to increase the fiber content.
Don’t take salads with high calorie salad dressings (eg: mayonnaise), instead choose salads with low calorie dressings (e.g.: those with olive oil).
Choose Tofu (soy paneer), and other soy products like soy flavoured milk which is very low fat and high in protein.
Instead of taking sweets in bed time, choose low fat fruit flavoured yogurt or a whole fruit.
Instead of taking junk snacks in the evening, choose tuna sandwich, grilled chicken sandwich, or fruit salad without cream which helps to suppress your hunger.
Along with diet modifications, a minimum 30-45 minutes brisk walk / physicail activity of moderate intensity improves overall health. Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down' periods, before and after the exercise regimen. Forty-five minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity provides many health benefits.

Hope I answered your query.

Grace Abraham