Assisting the process of bowel movements by pushing. What are we pushing against? Have hemorrhoids

Question
During attempted bowel movements, I sometimes have to assist the process by pushing. Even the pushing is not always successful. If possible I would like to know, "What are we pushing against".
An answer to that question would help me to understand the problem much better.
I do have hemorrhoids. Could I be pushing against the hemorrhoids?
I'm new with you people and I appreciate the quality of your organization. Thank You.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 22 minutes later

Your are actually pushing against anal sphincter and anal mucosa.So even hemorrhoids are getting pushed.

You can try laxatives, stool softeners or enemas to avoid this.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow-up: Assisting the process of bowel movements by pushing. What are we pushing against? Have hemorrhoids 9 minutes later

You say I am pushing against anal sphincter.
Does anal sphincter change in size?
If so, does it sometimes get smaller so pushing is unnecessary? or easier?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Yes, you are pushing against anal sphincter and anal mucosa.It opens up while passing stools and remains closed rest of the times.There is a limit to extent to which it can open.It's not that when anal sphincter is incompletely open that you need to push.You need to push when stools are hard,larger or intestine is unable to push them out on there own.So its not the size of sphincter that is causing this, but other factors.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.