Arthroscopic hip surgery, heart rate dropped, low BP, prescribed bolus

had arthroscopic hip surgery 6 days ago. in par, heart rate dropped to 40, i think my bp dropped as well as they had to bolus me. What would have caused this?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 45 hours later

First, I apologise for the delay in answering your query.

Your query has been forwarded to an expert and an answer is expected from him. Meanwhile I take this opportunity to answer on behalf of them.

Arthroscopic surgeries are one of the safest surgeries. However they are associated with few set of complications.
Most of the serious complications including cardiovascular events are associated with medications used during anesthesia. Oxycontin and codeine are not regularly used during general anesthesia.

Other per operative complications includes injury to soft tissue structures, nerves, blood vessels. None of these are expected to significantly lower heart rate and blood pressure.

Post operatively pain and infections are treated with appropriate medications.

Though I am in no position to predict the cause of hypotensive crisis; if I were to point a finger it would be on the anesthetic drugs.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. While we wait for the specialist reply, should you have any more concerns, I am available to follow up.