Arm amputated after car accident. Having bad phantom pain. What should I do?

I was in a car accident 14 years ago and had my arm amputated 8 days later. to this day i have really bad phantom pain. its always there not always painful but it is very painful most of the time. what should i do?
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm sorry that you had to through a traumatic experience with the car accident.

Painful sensations due to phantom limb should have come down by now. However, if it is really bad, you can request your physician to prescribe you low doses of antidepressants like amitryptiline 10 mg which might help with the pain relief.

If the pain is bearable and not that bad, just ignore it and continue with your daily activities.

I would also advise you to sign up for relaxation/meditation classes .

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan