Area under breast is dark and looks flaky. Suggest treatment

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
The area under and between my breast got dark, dry and looks flaky, I try to rub it off by exfoliate wash with no help. i try rubbing it off but it just got worst. help please
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details bleow

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I can understand you concern for the dark flaky area between your breast.

After reading your query it appears to be mild fungal infection which caused all the symptoms you mentioned. It is quite common to find such situation due to sweating and moisture at this area. It is also due to close apposition of skin of both the breasts.

It is quite common to find irritation of the skin after rubbing it due to mild to moderate inflammation after exfoliation. It peels off the superficial skin and thus leads to worsened appearance and also aggravation of itching and some times pain too.

You need not be worried about the same. The very first thing is not to exfoliate the area in future.

To get the area in better condition kindly follow the suggestions below:

1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any of the affected areas. I suggest you to even not to touch the area unnecessarily.

2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff at or near the butt area.

3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.

4. Try avoiding situations of heat, sweating and humidity for long hours. Do not take hot showers and avoid heavy exercise and gym for few days. Do not sit for long hours.

5. Take two times bath. Do simple cold water or mildly warm water compresses (whatever temperature suits you) for three to four times a day.

6. Wear lose cotton clothes and avoid wearing bra for a day or two.

7. You can apply cream containing anti-fungal and steroid in it for two times per day such as Candid B or Onabet B. Apply it in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye.

8. If you have itching or pain then can take any antihistamine like benadryl or loratadine and if pain is present then pain killer tablet like paracetamol to be taken for two times day.

Do not worry you will be alright soon.
Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help.

Regards.
Dr Sanjay
MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: Area under breast is dark and looks flaky. Suggest treatment 16 minutes later
Thanks, this sound correct I just started Running. Could u recommend some cream that I will be able to easily find in usa

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details bleow

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your swift reply.

You can apply any of the anti-fungal cream such as clotrimazole (cansten) or miconazole or butenafine (Lotrimin) or terbinafine (Lamisil). Along with it do apply a mild steroid cream such as cortisone or cortizone containing hydrocortisone in it.

While the anti-fungal cream will take up the fungal part, the mild steroid will soothe the area of inflammation. Do not apply the cortisone cream beyond 5 days. The anti-fungal cream can be continued for 15 days period. You can apply the cream as told before in a very thin layer simultaneously. You can stop the antihistamine and pain killer tablet as soon as the pain or itching gets stopped.

Do take care of yourself. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer.

Regards.
Dr Sanjay
MD (Dermatology)