Are there any chances of HIV infection after protected sex?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Sir i had protected sex with one lady. after ejaculation i removed my condom. later on i have washed my penis with water. 1. whether during washing, is there any chances of getting vaginal fluids into urethra as some of vluids touched my body where condom was not covered(edges) 2. she touches my body with her hand. my doubt is that her hand may contain vaginal fluids. on my body sweat bumps(due to heavy sweat) are there. is there chances of getting hiv into body. Uploaded the image 3. have to come across incidents that during protected sex also, hiv was transmitted. 4. exactly how much time hiv will survive in outside environment TEST results 22 days back i had protected sex. On 6th day i had taken HIV PCR RNA test which showed non reactive result. on 22nd day of infection i tested another test called "HIV 1&2 ANITBODIES SCREENING TEST, SERUM@ HIV 1/2 & P24 COMBO TEST (CMIA) from lal pathlabs which showed non reactive result and index value is .11. i uploaed the report. but i dont know whether its p24 antigen or not. and also i'm not clear about window period for this test. Uploaded the report whether i need to take another test after one month or after 3 months
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 11 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV testing Detailed Answer: Hi Mr.XXXX, Thanks for choosing health care magic. I have gone through your query and images of reports uploaded and I understand your concern regarding acquisition of HIV infection by direct contact. Based on the details mentioned in your query and reports, you are not infected with HIV. The points in favour include the following: 1. The intercourse was protected by a condom, hence less chances of infection transmission 2. PCR RNA test is negative. It is the most specific test in early exposure and test of choice after 4 days of exposure. 3. HIV Combo test is negative. HIV combo test is a test which tests for both antigen and antibodies for HIV1 and 2 types. The antigen here is P24 antigen and antibodies are against envelope proteins of HIV virus. This test is test of choice after three weeks of exposure. There is no requirement of further testing. You are HIV negative. Answers to your other queries: 1. Even if your body surface has come in contact with vaginal fluids, the volume of fluid is important. High volume of fluid in contact with mucus membrane or compromised skin (not intact skin) is more significant. 2. I have seen the image you have uploaded, the picture resembles miliaria, sweat rashes and will reduce by application of prickly heat powders and avoid tight clothes. 3. HIV being transmitted even after using protection is very rare. Could have occurred due to breakage of condoms, or other types of exposure like anal or oral sex. 4. Virus particles require a cell to multiply and are not virulent outside. They are killed within minutes at room temperature. Window period - The period following the entry of HIV into the body and the appearance of detectable levels of antibodies is called “window period”. During this period person is infected, infectious and non reactive with antibody detection tests. I hope I have cleared all your doubts. Please get back if any more queries. Thanks.
Follow-up: Are there any chances of HIV infection after protected sex? 3 days later
after 24 days of infection I went for hiv pcr test. result will come . is it conclusive. whether hiv will transmit during blood sample collection as person has not used any gloves
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 4 hours later
Brief Answer: PCR is conclusive Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXX, Welcome back. PCR is conclusive and it is a very specific test as it detects as less as 10ng of HIV DNA/RNA. If it is negative, your HIV status is definitely negative. HIV does not spread by touching. It is spread by using instruments like needles contaminated by HIV infected blood or body fluid. This kind of spread is more common in IV drug users who share needles while injecting themselves. If the technician who has collected blood has used universal precautions like washed hands and used a new sterile disposable syringe to collect blood, there is no chance of spreading any kind of infection. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Wishing you good luck. Thanks.