Are the white patches on my child's feet due to swimming in chlorine water?

My 6 yr old daughter likes to swin daily in the apartment pool. She shows up with white patches on the bottom of her feet and if she does not take a day or so break from swimming the white patches develop a red spot in the center and eventually bust and bleed. What are these patches and is it from the chlorine and can being in a pool daily damage her skin?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 34 minutes later

History of occurrence of symptoms on swimming and subsidence of symptoms on taking break for few days states the symptoms are probably allergic in nature, probably allergy to bleach, that is chlorine.
You have reported that she has asthma and she is allergic to sulfa drugs too.

Halogens like chlorine and bromine are commonly used pool disinfectants. So allergy would have occur with them.

I suggest the following measures to counter the problem:

1. If It occurs only on foot try to use protective coverings for foot and swim.
2. It is better to avoid swimming for long duration and particularly during XXXXXXX hours.

Discuss with her primary care doctor to confirm the diagnosis and for more specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries If any.