Are nausea and constipation side effects of Livalo (pitavastatin) ?

statin side effects or other possible causes for nausea and constipation. I started taking a statin called livalo (pitavastatin) about 5 months ago. For about the last 12 days I have had constipation, one day of diarrhea, and nausea that comes and goes. I do not have any kind of history of constipation. I am a 57 male. My diet does not include much meat but some. I have been eating prunes and taking something to hydrate my colon (prescribed by my doctor) and when I do have a bowel movement it is smaller than normal in size and shape. The color is brown not very dark. I do not notice any bright red color in the toilet like blood. The shape was kind of rectangular one day about 8 days ago before I took the hydration preparation. I am in Japan but I am from the US.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Statins may not be responsible for your symptoms like nausea, constipation, diarrhea etc.

As you are 53 years now and your symptoms of alternating bowel habits could be due to an underlying disease condition which may require an immediate attention of your doctor.

So I suggest you to consult you doctor and get the following tests done:
1. Stool examination including occult blood - To rule out conditions like chronic infections, bowel cancer etc
2. Colonoscopy - To rule out polyps, growths, obstructive lesions etc
3. If the above two tests are normal. You will have to get an intestinal motility tests done.

Following which we may arrive at a probable diagnosis for your condition and its treatment.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.