Are metamorphin tablets the right treatment for irregular period with polycystic ovaries?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
hello there, I am a 27 year old, weight 71kgs I do not get my period regularly, currently, haven't bled for 3 months, went for an ultrasound and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. My doc wants me to have metamorphin (anti diabetes) tablets, one each for 6 months. I would like to know if this is the right treatment for me?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be used Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Poly cystic ovary disease can present with features like: -Menstrual irregularities -Delayed ovulation or anovulation -Insulin resistance -Hyperandrogenism etc. Metfomin is a insulin sensitizer. It helps in reducing insulin resistance and there by helps in correcting PCOD status. That can be used as suggested by your doctor. After using for three months, repeat ultrasound to assess PCOD status. If the immature follicles regress and menstrual cycles become regular, you can stop taking metformin. Reducing weight helps in the treatment of PCOD. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Are metamorphin tablets the right treatment for irregular period with polycystic ovaries? 26 hours later
great, thanks for your response, I hope you had a look at my reports, does this mean I will not be able to conceive in future, I plan to get married in 5 months. will metamorfin not be the cause of my sugar level to go below standard and or cause diabetes in the future? .. what if a good amount of weightloss required in my case?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment can improve the fertility Detailed Answer: Hi, As your ovaries size is around 4 cms, there is no need of surgical treatment at present. You can try with medical therapy. By undergoing treatment cycles can regularize and possibility of fertility will improve. Metformin usually corrects insulin resistance and there may not be major fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Better to take the tablet after food. Ideal weight in kgs should be height in cms - 100. Take care.

Follow-up: Are metamorphin tablets the right treatment for irregular period with polycystic ovaries? 28 hours later
thank you very much !! you have cleared my doubts on the medication. I have a last question for you please. does metformin by any chance cause weight gain?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi, No, usually metformin will not cause weight gain with limited period of usage. It is actually linked to weight loss. Take care.