Applied otocomb otic ointment in the rectal area, became sore and itchy. Should it be stopped?

Question
I have Otocomb Otic Ointment for my rectal area but when I applied it it became more sore, itchy and uncomfortable. Should I stop using it?
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The ointment contains base which could be irritating to the skin or the mucous membrane.As it may cause a hypersensitivity reaction in some.

If you are experiencing any kind of discomfort then I it would be wise in stopping the ointment as soon as possible.

Do wash the affected area by Sitz bath if the irritation is long lasting.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Applied otocomb otic ointment in the rectal area, became sore and itchy. Should it be stopped? 41 minutes later
Thank you, I gave it a wash and applied some nappy rash cream and it seems to be easing the discomfort. I will just have to stop using it and speak to the specialist next week about what else to do. Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

You are welcome.

You can take a dose of Benadryl to minimize the symptoms if it causes more discomfort.

Usually stopping the ointment and washing would suffice.

Wish you good health.