Appearance of lump in the belly when raising the head

Orthopaedic Surgeon
lump appears in belly when on back and lift head up?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A lump in the belly which appears only when you raise your head up from the bed is likely to be due to a hernia.
A hernia is an opening or weakness in the muscular structure of the wall of the abdomen. This defect causes a bulging of the abdominal wall. This bulging is usually more noticeable when the abdominal muscles are tightened, thereby increasing the pressure in the abdomen. Any activities that increase intra-abdominal pressure can worsen a hernia; examples of such activities are lifting, coughing, or even straining to have a bowel movement. Imagine a barrel with a hole in its side and a balloon that is blown up inside the barrel. Part of the inflated balloon would bulge out through the hole. The balloon going through the hole is like the tissues of the abdomen bulging through a hernia.

The most common location for hernias is the groin (or inguinal) area.
A hernia repair requires surgery. There are several different procedures that can be used for fixing any specific type of hernia Hence I advice you to consult a surgeon and get examined to confirm the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern but before proceeding ahead ,I need certain informations from you so that I can narrow down the possible cause for your problem.
Are you suffering from any pain abdomen,fever,nausea,vomiting,constipation or blood in your stool?
Did you have any surgery on your abdomen in the past and do you feel that this lump is appearing near the scar line of past surgery?
Any other complaint along with this lump?

Awaiting your reply