Anxiety, heart palpations, dizziness. Prescribed anti depressant. Is it due to thyroid problem?

My son, age 35, has been having anxiety, heart racing/palpations, and dizziness. He is very physically fit and eats a great diet. He has just had some blood labs done(noresults as yet) and I think it may be his thyroid or hypothalamus he was prescribed an anti-depressant to address the anxiety . He is not happy about this, as he doesnt feel he needs it. What is your opinion?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The symptomayology of your son is suggestive of either anxiety or a hormonal imbalance such as thyroid disorder.

My opinion is that it is likely due to anxiety. Hyperthyroidism can causesuch symptomsnbut is also associated with other features such as fever, weight loss, excess appetite, heat intolerance. You have mentioned that he is otherwise healthy.

Anxiety can be the cause. However, its a diagnosis of exclusion.
Therfore, please wait for the thyroid results.

Also consider getting an ECHO done which can dilineate if there is any cardiac cause.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further assistance.

Dr Kiran