Anxiety disorder, pressure in chest, throat burning. Is it heart attack ?

hello i wrote to u before. i have been experiencing pressure in the chest,burning, burning in the throat. burping.i allways think ita aheart attack.i have anxiety disorder also. i have had all the test. let me give my history again . my last echo and ekg was done in may they were ok. i also had can scan with a XXXXXXX to check lungs. 2 weeks ago i had blood work done it was fine my . i cholesterol leve was 210 ldl 147 hdl 50 try 69. i am allways short of breath. i ahave had this issue for many yaers and all the tests come up ok.i also was diagnosed with gerd
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

The symptoms reported by you are consistent with the features of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)or acid peptic disorder. This perhaps may be worsened by anxiety.

The chances of cardiac event (heart attack) is almost ruled out when all your cardiac investigations including echo have come normal.

The symptoms of heart attack predominantly consists of squeezing type of chest pain with sweating and nausea/vomiting. These are the common presenting complaints. The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.
Heart attack is unlikely to develop at a young age like yours.

I hope you have tried all the measures in treating GERD. Let me take this oppurtunity to review those measures. Most often your symptoms may be relieved by simple life style modifications like-
1. Avoiding alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate, spicy or greasy foods.
2. Consume cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.
3. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
4. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.
5. Avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

I also encourage you to consult a gastroenterologist and consider getting upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.