Anus swelling, hemorrhoid, painless lumps, HPV. Normal?

Embarrassing question... While showering I felt swelling at the anus, probably a hemorrhoid, but as i continued to examine with my finger I felt several tiny hard painless lumps about the size of Bb's. Very tiny and almost in a ring around the inside of the rectum. Is this normal, or cancer? I do have HPV.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms since you have a history of HPV and cervical dysplasia but in patients of cervical dysplasia, cervical cancer is more common.

Anal cancer is usually presenting with symptoms like lump around the anus, itching, discharge, pain and soreness around the area and sometimes bleeding from the area. From the symptoms the chances of this being cancer is remote.

Such type of small lumps on anus can be folliculitis cysts, rectal polyps or genital warts(caused by HPV infection). Since you have a history of HPV and hemorrhoids so chances of these small lumps inside the rectum being due to warts and hemorrhoids are more.

My sincere suggestion is to get them examined from a primary physician and get a per rectal examination and proctoscopy done. If these are anal warts then you need specific treatment options.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Anus swelling, hemorrhoid, painless lumps, HPV. Normal? 11 hours later
Thank you for your answer, Dr. and I will follow up with tests as you suggested.

One more thing..
The mentioned "lumps" are all very tiny, hard, and round, like little beads, and they are all underneath the skin inside the tissue in the anus, not outside the body. Nothing around the outside of the anus, nothing outside or irregularly shaped, except the swollen hemorrhoid I mentioned, and it has been painful, though not hurting now.
Since these little bead-like, hard structures are actually completely underneath the skin in the rectum, could they still be warts?
Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Anal warts caused by HPV is a condition that affects the area around and inside the anus. It presents as small painless lumps that are as small as the head of a pin, and may grow larger than the size of a pea.

If they are not removed, the warts usually grow larger and multiply and may increase risk of any malignancy as well. Hence get it examined from your doctor.

Hope this answers your query.