Ankles and feet painfully swollen, can't be touched. Why are feet blotchy with spots?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am a healthy 30yr. old female who is 5'8 and weighs approximately 145lbs. My ankles and feet have been painfully swollen for almost 24hrs. My feet have become very blotchy with red spots, the areas are very tender with increased puffinessto the touch. I'm unable to walk at the moment, as the slightest touch or movement causes extreme amounts of pain. I am barely able to bend my toes.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

From your history the cause of the swelling is inflammatory with redness, swelling and tenderness. It could be from a local infection. It is unlikely to be XXXXXXX vein thrombosis as your swelling is bilateral and confined to the ankles and feet with red spots.

I would suggest that you visit the ER immediately.

You require antibiotic therapy preferably injectable to bring the infection under control. Topical therapy to reduce the swelling by elevation and magnesium sulphate cold compresses. Analgesics anti inflammatory medications are necessary.

The response needs to be monitored by improvement in signs and symptoms as well as improving blood counts if they happen to raised. A close watch needs to be kept on the renal function as well.

I hope my advice serves as road map for treating your problem.

With Regards