Am pregnant, have pain under ribs.

General Surgeon
im about 7 weeks pregnant and have a quick sharp pain under my ribs but only on the left side the pain only last about a second or two
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 57 minutes later

Thanks for nice query.     

Early pregnancy short duration pain some where in the body is a normal phenomenon in this most beautiful time in a woman’s life.

Most of the expectant women witness some degree of little bit pain under ribs may be on left or right side or lower back ,which generally subsides itself

Back pain or upper quadrant abdominal pain and stretch of the muscles either on the left or right is usually due to the result of the softening of the ligaments due to an increase of progesterone during the initial phase.

Important and safe remedy is the early pregnancy exercises,and avoid analgesic which are harmful for the developing fetus.

If pain becomes unbearable it is always better to have the opinion of local gynecologist .

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,