Am pregnant, getting angry frequently, crying a lot, taking stress. How does this affect the unborn child?

May 2013
hi doctor,
my wife is 4 monts pregnant..i would like know that how crying or becoming angry affects the child as well a her health as she is getting angry more frequently and even cry a lot..she takes a lot of stress even worried about very small things..and also i want to know that quarelling oon each other also affects pregnancy..
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Having mood swings is common during pregnancy,
Which can occur due to,
-hormonal changes,
-thinking about delivery, baby care etc,
-due to symptoms of pregnancy like vomitings, fatigue, heart burn etc.

If these last for more than two weeks and not getting well with general measures like taking rest, sufficient sleep, pressure relieving methods like yoga etc, then that can be serious condition like bipolar disorder,

Normal mood swings usually will not affect the health of mother or baby, but serious psychological disturbances can lead to,
Preterm labor, postpartum depression like problems in mother,
Growth retardation and problems because of preterm birth etc in baby.

So you and other family members try to support her in handling this situation, if you and your gynecologist think that psychiatrist consultation is needed, you can go for that which will help usually.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.