Am pregnant and have had contact with hand, foot and mouth disease. Worried for unborn baby.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 21 weeks pregnant and have come into contact with someone who has hand foot and mouth disease. I have read all types of negative things about this disease and pregnant women. I am very worried for my unborn baby.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Hand, foot and mouth disease is a viral infection of childhood which is rare in healthy adults. So the risk of infection during pregnancy is very low.

There are evidences that hand, foot and mouth disease during pregnancy may result in miscarriage in very, very rare cases. But most often there’s no risk to your unborn baby if you are infected with hand, foot and mouth disease. The risk of complications is also very low. On rare occasions, complications can affect the baby’s organs.
However, if you become infected with this virus shortly before you give birth, the infection can be passed on to your baby. Most babies born with hand, foot and mouth disease have only mild symptoms.

In your case, ‘since you have completed the first trimester when most organs of baby are formed even if you get infected with the virus it's unlikely to harm the fetus.’ So do not worry. Consult your gynecologist if you get any rash, fever or any pain in abdomen.

Hope I have provided with good information and reassurance. Please accept this answer if you do not have any follow ups.