Am exhausted all the time. Can TSH level be the reason?

General Surgeon
This would be for a endocrinologist. I am male, 21 years old and I am exhausted all the time. I have also recently gained 40 pounds. I recently had blood work done because I keep getting impetigo on my arms, legs and really anywhere. They just pop up out of nowhere. This has happened 5 times so far. Anyway, my real question is my thyroid test showed TSH 3.21 and T4, Free 1.2 Would this be the reason for my exhaustion? I also go through phases where I feel okay and then suddenly nauseated. I'm cold a lot too.
According to the lab range I'm still "normal". Just wanted to followup and maybe see if it is worth getting a second opinion.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TSH is normal

Detailed Answer:
Your thyroid tests are normal.
I think you are suspecting hypothyroidism.But,you are not having it.
Regarding gaining of weight,exhaustion,tiredness can be ralted to food intake, lack of physical activity.
I have done lot of thyroid surgeries.
If you are still doubtful,get an ultrasound of thyroid and get an Fine needle aspiration cytology test if at all any swelling is seen in thyroid.
Hashimotos thyroiditis is a condition of thyroid which presents with hypothyroidism.
Please do mild exercises like walking.
Take frequent small feeds.
Take iodised salt.
Yoga and meditation will help you a lot
Wish you good health