Am Lactose intolerant with B12 deficiency. Taking Vitcofol. Any other medication?

B12 deficiency was noticed and was asked to take Vitcofol injections
After taking for two months when I checked the B12 was 1022 (much above the limit)
Then I checked again after 6 months it was 543
Now I checked again after 15 months the level is low 238.
Can you please advise how should I take these injections frequency & doses so that the level is always maintained?
If there is better Medication please advise.
I am Lactose intolerent & cannot take milk & a strict vegetarian.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

I have gone through your history. Megaloblastic anemia occurs due to Vitamin B-12 deficiency.

If someone has to be treated with injection of B12, once desired result is obtained then it is ideal that the levels are maintained lifelong with 1000 µg of hydroxycobalamin or Methyl cobalamine 1000 to 2000 µg once every one to three months. If you have pernicious anemia or malabsorption syndrome then parenteral route is the choice.

The duration also depends on cause due to which deficiency occurred. Further a few conditions can be treated effectively with oral therapy alone. Therefore I urge you to discuss with your treating doctor and learn about the cause in your case.

Some time there may be relative iron and Folate deficiency, where iron and Folate may be required for correction of anemia.

There is no need to measure B12 level frequently. And lastly your Vitamin D3 level is normal - are you taking supplement of vitamin D3?

Hope this information helps you. If you have any further query please ask, will be happy to assist you.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.