Alzheimer's patient. Done with gall bladder surgery. Rash around genital area. Will an OTC ointment help?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My husband is an Alzheimer's patient and has just had gall bladder surgery. He has to wear depends now and frequently they are wet as he forgets to go to the bathroom. He has a terrible rash around the genital area and a very red scrotum. Will an over the counter ointment help? I have tried one and it has not helped a whole lot.

thank you
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diaper rash

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic.
I have gone through your query and I understand your concern as patients of Alzheimer's need extra care especially for personal hygiene.

Diaper rash is one of the commonest problems encountered by patients wearing diapers.
It is most commonly caused by contact irritation.
Moist areas around the genitalia also predispose to infection by bacteria and fungi causing dermatitis.
Best treatment I would suggest is avoiding the contact irritation by frequently changing the diapers, trying to keep those areas clean and dry as much as possible.
Application of Vaseline jelly over the rash will help.

I also suggest Clotrimazole anti fungal cream application 2-3 times a day over the affected region for two weeks.

If the rash does not reduce please get a dermatologist opinion.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.