Always afraid of getting HIV. Do not take drugs or have unprotected sex. Taking temperature many times.

hiv and ocd or is anxiety

Hello. I'm always afraid of getting HIV. I don't do drugs nor unprotected sex. but I get scared all the time. I went to the dentist and I can't stop thinking that the tools infected me. HIV experts told me that its zero risk. And. Asked me To seek professional help. I just keep on taking my temperature. 4 times a day. And when I go get tested, I wounded about the needle they tested me with. Please help...

Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities which need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist, in following hierarchy:
•     OCD
•     Hypochondriasis
•     Generalised anxiety disorder

All these disorders come in spectrum of anxiety disorder.
Common symptoms of anxiety: anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing and health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth. Many of your complaints matching with this.

You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past. As you are having multiple symptoms then combined treatment in form exposure and response prevention (ERP) and drug therapy will be best in your case.

In drug treatment two types of medicine are used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and ERP therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.