Allergy, sensation of ball in the throat, pain on swallowing. Tested for allergies, allergic to dust mites, not walnuts. Causes for allergic reaction?

Everytime I eat walnuts, I feel like I get a "ball in my throat" and it hurts to swallow. I got tested for allergies and the only thing I was allergic to was dust mites, all nuts were negative...
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand your concern about odynophagia (pain during swallowing). As you describe it - that the "ball" appears only on eating walnuts - you might have realized yourself that your oesophagus is absolutely fine medically. Else you should have got that feeling with all food.

Now, that major medical concerns aside, which is good for you - considering all nut allergies are negative, but with a positive gluten and milk allergy - you certainly have a reason for your condition. This is because, your body is well prepared not to accept anything that has gluten in it - (for instance) but you only know that walnut does not have gluten in it - try eating powdered walnut and see if it is the same.

I understand you are building on your omega 3 with fish oils and walnut, but you can always alter your intake with minor changes in order that your reportedly gluten and milk allergic condition would accept in a positive way.

I assure you of a non-organic medical cause behind the "ball" feeling, and I commonly advise my patients to calm down and do the above accordingly. It helps them.

But, if I am off track and if you feel pain on swallowing any solid foods in general then that would mean a consultation.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.