Allergic to season change. Starts sneezing and have soar throat. Proper solution?

ENT Specialist
my wife is allergic to season change and start sneezing and a soar throat. This continues for nearly 2 months in stretch for the past two years every seasonal change. pls suggest me the best solution.

Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

Your wife is suffering from Allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, advise her to avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

My advice to her is:
1. To use steroid nasal spray (such as Fluticasone or Momentasone) and saline nasal spray.
2. To drink plenty of warm water, it will keep the throat and nasal mucosa moistened and also, reduces the irritation.
3. Avoid chilled food and beverages.

With the above measures she should be definitely alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Allergic to season change. Starts sneezing and have soar throat. Proper solution? 13 hours later
Thanks for your reply
I want to know how many time in a day the nasal spray to be used & are there any Tablets or any other medicine for instant relief for cough.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Steroid spray should be used once in a day early in the morning as soon as she gets up from the bed. If the cough is productive then a mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol will suffice. For dry cough, the measures mentioned in the previous discussion is enough.

Please consult your doctor for the medications before taking the medicines.

I wish her good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon