Alcoholic. Could not purchase. So discontinued the habit. What will happen if he starts again?

my husband is an alcoholic and drinks about 120-140 cans of veer every 3 days. something came up and he was unable to purchase any beer. the first 3-4 days were horrible with the DT's and now has become pretty normal.. my question is what can occur if and when he starts drinking again? how might his body react?
also, what if he remains sober, will the XXXXXXX damage go into a remission of sorts?\
the info below is regarding my husband, not me!
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Thank you for the concern for the recovery of your husband, alcohol problem

Usually people who are dependent on alcohol, if they decrease the usual amount of alcohol or stop, then a set of alcohol withdrawal syndrome develops. DT, you are referring to is a part of this. During this time seizure can occur, too.

Therefore, to prevent such complications, someone who is planning to stop alcohol, needs to take appropriate dose of benzodiazepine under supervision of psychiatrist or deaddiction specialist.

One time occurrence of DT is a risk factor for subsequent occurrence of DT.

If he starts again, no acute problem is likely to occur, unless the amount is large leading to intoxication. But then, when he subsequently stops, withdrawal is likely to occur. This does not mean that keep continuing alcohol is the treatment / solution. Unfortunately, many people harbour this myth, which is the factor responsible for maintaining alcohol dependence.

Stoppage of alcohol (If he remains sober) will lead to reversal of liver changes and other organ damage unless he already has cirrhosis of liver, end organ damage etc. Hence I always recommend my patients to quit alcohol for better outcomes.

Hope this address some of your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish him alcohol free life...
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 35 hours later
I think I was not able to get across to you for the answer, perhaps, for you were looking a straight answer.

The straight answer is as below:

1. If he starts drinking again, he is likely to keep continuing to take alcohol in the previous pattern or in excessive amount. And the moment he decreases the amount stops, he would invariably suffer from withdrawal and may be DT, too

2. If he remains sober, XXXXXXX organ damage is very much likely to go to "sort of remission " in your language

Hope now you will find the answer, if not, I would be still happy to get you clarified

Wish him good health
Follow-up: Alcoholic. Could not purchase. So discontinued the habit. What will happen if he starts again? 10 hours later
thank you for the straight answer! that helps me . sorry I did not reply sooner, my hospice patient was having a rough day. I truly appreciate you being very straight with me!
I appreciate your appreciation

But, I would be really be appreciative and thankful to you, if you persist and persuade him to get in touch with a psychiatrist / deaddiction specialist / deaddiction centre

I would really be happy to answer further more questions / clarifications, subsequently that may arise, during his course of treatment or whatsoever

Wish both of you a happy life
Follow-up: Alcoholic. Could not purchase. So discontinued the habit. What will happen if he starts again? 29 minutes later
He is a sad situation, he refuses to see a Dr for anything and already has an EMS DNR and a Hospital DNR signed. I have been trying to get him to a deaddiction facility for 28 years and he refuses. I do not know what it is that troubles him enough to drink himself to death. I have actually checked his vitals a couple times to see if he was even alive. I have been preparing myself for his death.
thank you so much for offering to assist with questions that may arise in his possible recovery. I do not believe that will occur. he was upset earlier this year that he made it to his 59th birthday, he knew he would die by 58, like his dad did
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 8 minutes later
I entirely agree with you, yes, in some cases, years are being passed, before getting agreed to come to a deaddiction centre. But, you never know. It is easy to say for me, but, one should never stop trying, but in different. May be : dream may come true"

One can try the option of taking consultation by inviting doctor to your home. I dont know such system is there or not

Good luck