After delivery having problem of breathing. Feel short of breath and dizzy. Underlying cause?

I am a 37 year old Female and had a baby 2 years ago. Since the August of last year, I am having this problem breathing. Suddenly, I feel short of breath and have to breath in really deep. After a few minutes the problem goes away. Sometimes, when trying to catch my breath I feel a little dizzy. I have been to my family physician and she thinks its just stress. I have no other serious symptoms. I wanted to get an opinion on this condition.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

I would be happy to help. I am actually a lung specialist and this is right in my area of expertise.

I understand you feel short of breath at times and the symptoms tend to come and go.

Have you noticed whether or not these symptoms are worsened by anything or improved by anything. This would be helpful to know. Do the symptoms just go a away on their own?

It could be stress or it could be some form of underlying asthma. If you have not undergone a breathing test to see how your lungs function this would be helpful.

Let me know the answer to some of my questions and I may be better able to help you.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Follow-up: After delivery having problem of breathing. Feel short of breath and dizzy. Underlying cause? 4 hours later

Thank you for your advice. I am not sure what exactly makes my symptoms come and go. But the symptoms increase when I am doing more multitasking kind of activity. They did a breath test in the doctor's office, spirometric test I think. The doctor told that the score was bearly in the normal range.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 minutes later

It certainly could be stress. However, if it was "barely" in the normal range then I would see a lung specialist to see what their interpretation of the test was. Or if you have a copy of the test I believe there is a way you could scan it to me so I could review it.