Advised to take primoult-n to delay the period. Took I-pill to avoid pregnancy. Suggest the dosage to delay the period?

I am 22 yrs married .I wish to delay my period which would start around 06 Aug 2013, as I have function for 15 days from 8th Aug. A chemist advised me to take PRIMOULT-N 5mg two times daily, one after breakfast and one after dinner from 7th Aug as my periods gets delayed 2-3 days every month generally.

so is it safe to take this medicine ? what dosage of PRIMOULT-N should I take and when do I start?

Before taking medicine any kind of test is required to check whether this medicine will be suitable for me ??

Actually I don't want to take medicine at very first. I am thinking that as my due date is 6th Aug , I will start eat papaya 2-3 days before due date as I heard papaya helps to get period. If it doesn't come on due date then I will go for medicine.

I want to provide one more information that on 28-May I had taken I-pill to avoid unwanted pregnancy. Due to that I got my period late on 6th July instead of my due date 17th XXXXXXX

so please advised as per the details given by me.

thanks a lot..

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi My.....
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!
You have taken emergency contraceptive pill recently so the awaited period will also be unpredictable.
You can consider the 6 aug as likely date.
The Primolut.N is a synthetic progesterone analog which can be used for dysfunctional uterine bleeding and for rescheduling the menstrual cycle.
For rescheduling the menstrual cycle the primolut-N is taken 3 days prior to the expected date of starting the periods and should not be continued beyond 14 days at XXXXXXX
the usual dose for this indication is 5 mg thrice a day.
Before taking the medicine make sure the you are not hypertensive, diabetic or cardiac patient.
history of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism are XXXXXXX contraindications against the use of Primolut-N.
It is highly advisable that you get a consultation with a local physician before taking this medicine and for any other hormonal contraceptive etc.
I hope the advise will be informative and helpful for you.
Follow-up: Advised to take primoult-n to delay the period. Took I-pill to avoid pregnancy. Suggest the dosage to delay the period? 45 minutes later
should i eat papaya as i mentioned in my previous post? actually i want to wait till 6th aug for my period. if it comes in time thn good else i will take medicine on 7th as holy occasion mainly starting from 12th, and for that by 6th or 7th period should must come normaly to avoid medicine .

some doctor advised to their patient in public forum of healthmagic care that this medicine should be taken two times and there must be 12 hrs gap in between. why so? is there any checkup if you can advise before taking such medicine? so that without going to doctor nd looking positive report medicine can be taken after your consultment..? please reply whatever doubts i asked without skiping one..
thanks madam..
Hi My....,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Eating papaya is good for health but does not do anything for menses.
It is advised by doctors also but reason is it a wholesome fruit and it hydrates the person well so feeling of tiredness is less.
The timing to start the medicine is well planned by you I also agree, it should work well.
The twice a day dose is advised for dysfunctional uterine bleeding and dose is 10 mg 12 hourly in that case. For menses twice a day dose has high spotting rate so not advisable but can be tried if there is tolerance issue.
Consultation with the doctor has the advantage that you get a baseline idea of your fitness to withstand the effects of the drug.
No blood test is necessary, just physical examinations and vitals measurements are sufficient for most cases.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Advised to take primoult-n to delay the period. Took I-pill to avoid pregnancy. Suggest the dosage to delay the period? 10 days later
sorry for the late reply madam.. could you please mention what are the physical examinations will be required ? so that i will do that examination and follow up with report.. if you mention required examination and measurments will be very fine..

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 8 hours later

Welcome back.

Ideally before starting any hormonal pill you should be thoroughly examined like there should be no icterus, no cyanosis,
abdomen should be soft,
breast should be soft ,
cervix & vagina should be healthy.

Your blood pressure & weight should be in normal range.

So I again advise you to consult your doctor before starting this medication.

I hope your query has been answered.