Advised to have tubes tied. Possible partial hysterectomy. Why frequent periods with excessive bleeding?

Bleeding My friend is 32 and has had 3 children. She was instructed after the last child to have her tubes tied. Since then, she has experienced frequent periods with approximately one week between and experiences excessive bleeding. She is approx 140 lbs now but has been as low as 115. She is 5ft0. She has had low iron most of her life and does not eat much now.

She is now facing a possible partial hysterectomy. Her abdominal pains increase quickly with stress and during periods. She also has headaches and normally complains of the pain originating near the temples. In addition, she bruises very easily.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding the headache, pain originating from the temples could be due to couple of reasons. Most common of these is migraine and tension type headache. In view of the other medical problems I personally feel it could be a case of tension type headache. If she has disabling headache's she needs to be on medications to prevent it becoming more in the near future. Medications like amitryptylline and topiramate are commonly used for these kind of headache's.

Regarding the frequent bleeding and low iron status, I personally feel she has dysmenorrhoea and iron deficiency due to menorrhagia. My recommendation would be to see your gynecologist for a good clinical examination and consultation. In view of easy bruising in her, I would also like to exclude bleeding disorders as a cause for excess bleeding.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist