Ask a Dentist   »  

Advice on procedure to fill hole in teeth

Sir, its been around 5 year since there is an hole in one of my teeth , please advise the procesure to fill it .
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 18 hours later

Thank you for your query.

You have a hole in one of your teeth since 5years and now you want to fill this hole.

I assume this hole is cavity due to caries (Infection) so my answer is based on this. you have not mentioned which tooth it is. If it is the front tooth, filling will be composite filling. If posterior (back) tooth (molar,premolar) is involved, filling may be amalgam or composite(tooth colour filling)

I advice you to get an IOPA X-ray of this tooth to see the pulp involvement because you have not mentioned any history of pain, heat and cold sensetivity. There may be chronic exposure of pulp. If pulp is not involved dentist will remove carious material and fill the hole, but if pulp is involved then root canal treatment is a must.

There may be other causes of the hole such as trauma, any pathological condition. In this case the treatment will differ according to the situation.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have any further queries.