Addicted to smoking cigarette. What should I do to quit smoking?

I have been smoking since last 6 years now with 5 ciggretes per day..have tried quitting as well but unable to do so. Pls suggest a way out
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Simmi Kumari 1 hour later

Most important thing in stopping any type of substance abuse is your motivation, your wish to be free from it , your self control. If you think you are ready to quit and have made your mind with full determination than you can quit it. You just need to follow few tips. These tips will help you quit.
First note when you smoke the most. Means in which all situations and what trigger you to have a smoke in that situation.

What can be a alternate response to the same trigger. Identify these responses and start practicing them. Initially you will face lots of resistance in your surroundings and you may even fail at few times. That is the trick , you should not consider these lapses in your process of quitting as relapses . You should not loose heart at these few incidences as mostly at this point people stop trying any further and resume their original pattern.

Except for these behavior modifications which has been told to you to practice, you will also need replacement of the nicotine which you are taking in cigarette form.

For that you can have nicotine chewing gum 2 mg easily available in market, two to three in one day when you have intense craving for smoking. There is a way of using the chewing gum to have maximum effect. You are supposed to chew the gum slightly and then keep it between your lower lip and the gum for faster and better absorption and more relieving effect. If these methods does not work for you, then you need intervention by a trained psychiatrist for behavior modification and other modalities of treatment available for this problem.

I hope I have been able to solve your problem. If there is any more query, you can ask any time again.

Thanks and take care