Ask a Dentist   »  

Acute pain due to boils on gums, cheek swollen. Took combiflam, ebility, applied hexigel but no help. Immediate relief ?

Sir, since yesterday night, i am experiencing acute pain due to boils on gums, took combiflam and ebility and applied hexigel but no marked difference. great pain and cheek is swoolen one side due to boil. Pl guide for the treatment for immediate relief, thanks
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 44 minutes later

I understand the amount of pain that you are suffering at the present. I am sorry about it.

My suggestion to you:

1. Please go to the ER (Emergency Room) immediately. You require a shot of analgesic like Diclofenac or other potent painkillers which can be taken intramuscular in your biceps.

2. You need to be started on effective oral antibiotics as soon as possible, may be a third generation cephalosporin or even something like Augmentin. These are prescription drugs. You need to get them prescribed by a general physician or dentist.

3. We need to look for the underlying cause for the pain and swelling like a tooth abscess. It may require a surgical drainage under antibiotic cover.

We tried to call you on phone, but we did not have your contact number.

I wish you speedy recovery.

Do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.