Acne near pubic groin area. Sexually active. Get an STD test? Are they ingrown hair?

Hi, I been getting something like acne down in my pubic groin area for the past month. I am sexually active and occasionally shave my pubic area. I am wondering are these normal acne or ingrown hair. Should I get checked for STDs. I also submitted a pic. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 3 hours later

I went through your problem and viewed the picture.

You seem to have folliculitis which is an infection and inflammation of hair follicle. It is caused by staphylococcus aureus which belongs to bacteria. The possible route of entry could be sexual transmission or simply scratching and injuring the skin.

As there is a history of active sexual life you can undergo the routine like VDRL for syphilis and HIV serology. But these do not present usually as folliculitis. However a blood sugar test is more appropriate.

Pseudo folliculitis is caused by penetration of hair which is common in negroid race.

I suggest the following

1. Take a course of antibiotics like azithromycin

2. Apply topical antibiotics like mupirocin twice a day

3. Regular shaving or trimming the hair

I hope I have addressed your problem. If there are further queries feel free to ask me.

Follow-up: Acne near pubic groin area. Sexually active. Get an STD test? Are they ingrown hair? 35 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply. I am Asian so hopefully is folliculitis and ill try to get some antibiotics. How long does these infection last?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 4 hours later

Folliculitis is a bacterial infection which lasts for five to seven days only and responds to medications.