Accidental injection of vitamin B12, found blood. Worry?

I am 59 years old and just accidentally injected 1 ml. of Vitamin B-12 into a vein in my upper thigh... this was only the third time I gave myself the shot, and forgot to pull the needle back a little to see if there was blood. Should I worry?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Most of the injectable preparations of Vitamin B12 are for both intravenous and intramuscular use. Even if you have pushed the injection into a vein it is not likely to produce any reaction at all. The more common complication seen after a vein puncture is hematoma formation.
If the area is too much painful or there is purplish discoloration then you need to rule out infection or if large, hematoma might need to be drained.
To avoid such a happening in future, after taking out the needle, put a XXXXXXX pressure on the area of injection for at least five minutes to stop the bleeding if there is any.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.