Abnormal thyroid results. Have irregular period with fluctuating bleeding. Why is it accompanied with headaches?

Excellent

Question
my thyroid test report as below
T 3-------0.32 ng/ml
T4 ------2.01 ug/dl
T S H --------101.6
recently my periods are irregular with heavy bleed for some days and no bleeding in some days, aslo have mygrane headache. Some of my collegues says that there would not be a normal T3, T4 levels and high TSH level . So I have a doubt above my
thyroid report, please guide me .
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

Your thyroid reports are suggestive of severe primary hypothyroidism ( the function of the thyroid gland is decreased and there is no problem in the pituitary gland). Your T3 and T4 levels are very low and TSH is very high. This is the classic picture of severe primary hypothyroidism. Menorrhagia ( very heavy bleeding during periods) and irregular cycles are related to this thyroid problem. The headache that you are experiencing may also be related.

If you have any doubt on the reliability of the laboratory from where this test was done, then you can recheck it from a more reliable laboratory. If this report turns out to be correct, then you'll have to take lifelong thyroxine tablets. The earlier the treatment is started, the better it is for you.

Although the hypothyroidism is severe, treatment is quite simple. You just need to take thyroxine tablets daily under the supervision of your treating physician.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I would be available for follow ups.