Abnormal smear test, on lletz treatment, on breast feeding, HPV infection not cleared from cervix. Cure?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
5 years ago I had an abnormal smear test - CIN 3 and had the lletz procedure to clear the cells. I have had four years of normal smears, and have just received a 'Borderline' result. To say I am devastated is an understatement. The Dr said that this borderline result could be because I am breastfeeding my second baby who is 8 months (5 months when I had the smear). I have been reading around the subject a lot and am extremely worried. I understand this is caused by the HPV virus. What I am concerened about is that everything I read says that 80% of healthy people clear the virus from their bodies. I am concerened as to why I have not cleared this virus - does this mean there is something wrong with my immune system? I have also read HPV is related to other types of cancer. If I did not clear the virus on my cervix is it therefore more likely that I would not clear it in other areas as well, such as the throat?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 19 hours later

Your Doctor has opined correctly that the cause of "Borderline smear" could be because of low estrogen levels, which are possible during breast feeding.

I advise you to undergo another pap smear test after 4 to 6 months from the date of last smear preferably after stopping breast feeding.

This time chances of the smear becoming normal are high.Also I advise you not to worry much as whatever may be the result,it is still in the early stage and completely curable.

Regarding HPV(human papilloma virus) viral infection,there are more than 100 strains of this virus and majority of the people get infected.

Your immune system is probably normal and HPV infection may not get cleared even in normal individuals and harmless.You may undergo " HPV DNA test" to know the active status of this viral infection.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

With warm regards