Abdominal pressure, not constipated, nausea, heart racing, belching. Do I have a hiatal hernia?

Do I have a Hiatal Hernia? Or What could it be?
2 weeks ago I started having problems. Since I had my appendix removed last April I've felt a weird type pressure in the middle of my abdomen. It has since gotten worse. I lift a lot with my new job. For 2 weeks straight, I've had burning in abdomen and goes all the way to my mouth. Like stomach acid. Nothing has made it better. I've tried Prevacid, Pepto, Tums, milk, and even ice cream. It never goes away. After eating a little, the pressure is almost unbearable. It's just below my ribcage in the center of my abdomen. I am not constipated at the moment. I have been off and on since April. Only able to go once per week no matter what I try. My nausea is getting worse. Sometimes my heart races for a few beats or feels like it skips a beat. I can barely sleep at night. I have been burping and belching a lot. If I push on my abdomen it feels like stomach acid burning it all over. Sometimes it makes me burp a little also. I've read that could be signs of a hiatal hernia. Right now I'm debating on whether to go on to the ER or not. I hate going just to be told they can't find anything. It feels like a wasted trip. I just moved to the area and I don't have a doctor yet. Anybody have any advice on what to do or what it could be? I'm a 31 yr old female.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Thanks for the query
The symptoms of retrosternal pain are suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease and a hiatus hernia may predispose to reflux. Hiatus hernia compromises the integrity of the lower esophageal sphincter, thereby predisposing people to reflux
A combination of a prokinetics like domperidone and an acid suppressant like omeprazole is better than PPI alone for the management of reflux disease. Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you consult your treating physician for the same.
However, palpitations or missed beats are not usual in reflux disease and need to be investigated. I would suggest that you consult your treating physician who can then perform an electrocardiogram to rule out any other co-existing illness.