Abdominal pain, low temp with yellowish stool, had pancreatitis & septis, hospitalised for colonitis recently. Heavy alcohol consumption.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
abdominal pain, low temperature (95.6) with yellow stools. 1 year ago hospitalized with pancreatitis and septis. Last month hospitalized for colonitis. Continues heavy alcohol abuse, vodka. Symptoms continue.
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The description of your symptoms and signs is suggestive of pancreatic insufficiency. With continued consumption of alcohol, it can cause a relapse of pancreatitis which can be fatal.
Continued alcohol consumption seems to have compromised liver function as well. The continuous, low grade fever could be because of early liver insufficiency or due to an infection.
Due to liver dysfunction and alcoholism, your immunological status has weakened making you susceptible to recurrent infections. Continuous abdominal pain and yellow stools are due to infection.
I would suggest the following
1. Stop alcohol immediately.
2. Start pancreatic enzyme preparations for improving digestion.
3. Liver tonics containing tricholine citrate /sorbitol/ornithine preparations. These need to be prescribed by your physician.
4. Have a balanced diet set by a dietician.
5. A course of antibiotics like fluororquinolones and the metronidazole till the septic complications totally resolve. These are prescription drugs and I would suggest that you be evaluated by your physician immediately.
I am sure you will be better if you follow the advice. But you need to remember that Alcohol consumption has to be stopped at any cost if you expect relief.
With Regards