Abdominal pain, enlarged liver, getting blood work and ultrasound. Could this be serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I've had pain in the right side of my abdomen (when pressure applied / or when laughing) for about the past week. I went to the doctor today and he told me I had an enlarged liver. He sending me to get blood work done as well as an ultra sound. He was too busy to elaborate further.

Could this be serious? I am worried. On average, is this a treatable condition that will go away?

Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Do you have fever, body ache, jaundice, weight loss, reduced appetite, itching over body, pale coloured floating stools in the toilet ?

The enlarged liver could be due to many possible causes. Commonly fatty liver which is essentially harmless could be a cause especially if there is no jaundice. Fatty liver can be due to heavy cholesterol diet, sedentary activity, alcohol consumption, drugs etc.

Other cause could be hepatits especially if you have fever, jaundice, reduced appetite.

You will also need to get evaluated for like Cholecystitis which can cause similar symptoms like pain on laughing and XXXXXXX breathing. This can be confirmed on ultrasound.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes.

Avoid spicy, fatty, oily, junk food. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Perform safe sex using condoms.

Kindly consult your Doctor in this regard, get your Ultrasound and required laboratory testing to help in diagnosis and management.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, enlarged liver, getting blood work and ultrasound. Could this be serious? 38 hours later
Thank you very much for your response. It is greatly apprecaited.

I do not have any fever, body ache, jaundice, weight loss, reduced appetite, itching over body, or pale coloured floating stools in the toilet. The main symptom, or only symptom I have right now is a pain in my lower right abdomen (which my doctor said was enlarged liver).

I did have some blood in my stool about 4 days ago, but that is gone, and I notice that about once a year. I also have sever case of acne (which I never have) about 3 weeks ago, but it as all cleared up now..

I am following all your reccomendations for healthy diet / exercise. I went for my blood work / ultra sound yesterday morning, so it will be a few days before I hear the results.

I sitll have pain in my lower right abdomen. Do you reccomend any type of liver flush that could maybe help? -- I been increasing vegetables, fruit, olive oil, XXXXXXX juice and tumeric because I heard this could help...

I would be greatful for any advice.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

Am glad to know that you have made good changes in your diet and lifestyle. This will help prevent constipation and definitely reduce pain.

You can take a mild pain killer like Paracetamol or Acetaminophen, under medical supervision which will also help in reducing the pain.

Kindly follow up with me about your condition and test reports. I will do my best to help you.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.