Abdominal pain before bowel movement or gas. Had throat irritation, dry cough and sinus drainage. Any ideas?

I had a dry cough last week caused by throat irritation and sinus drainage. Coughed so much that I threw up. Coughing and irritation are now going away. But I now have a sharp pain in the lower left abdomen just before I have a bowel movement or gas. Any ideas??
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 31 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information you have submitted it seems as if your immune system has finally completely eradicated the infection which was causing the symptoms of congestion and cough. Now you're dealing with some abdominal pain . I can tell you with excellent certainty that the most likely reason you are experiencing the of Domino pain is it due to the fact that some of your stomach muscles became your ticket or were pulled during the coughing episodes you had related to the infection.

Generally with this type of abdominal strain it takes 10 to 14 days for the symptoms to completely improve. There should be a gradual level of improvement over the next several days.

If however, your symptoms of abdominal discomfort worsened or if you develop fevers, chills, nausea or vomiting then I think this is something you should discuss with your Tylenol if the abdominal discomfort is bothersome.

I thank you very much again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga