Abdominal pain, back pain, irregular bleeding, weight gain, had smear test

Over the last 6 months I have been experiencing some worrying symptoms. I have constant lower abdo pain and back pain this never leaves me, I can only describe it as mild period pain then when I do get a period they are much heavier and more painfull than they used to be, I have also starting have irregular bleeding. When I try and excercise I get a severe sharp pain in my abdo and I have to stop. Over the past 6 months I have put on lots of weight but only on my stomach it now looks very bloated, I am usually very slim. I have regular smear tests every year so I don't think it's that. Please could you please give me your thoughts.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Based on your description, I can think of a few possibilities:

1. Fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis are some of the commonest possibilities amongst your age group women.
2. Uterine polyps
3. Thyroid hormone dysfunctions.

A pelvic examination is very much helpful and needed here. You would also need to get an ultrasound of the pelvis also.

These test will help clear up some things. Hence I encourage you to consult your gynecologist and get the test done.

Hope my answers are adequate and helpful. If there are any more queries, I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, back pain, irregular bleeding, weight gain, had smear test 15 hours later
Thank you, can I just ask do you know if there is another way of getting an appointment with a gyno as I don't feel like I can go to my doctor, she always makes me feel like I am wasting her time and always tells me that its just a urine infection
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

Well, I believe that in UK, a referral is the fastest way to get an appointment with a specialist.You can of course make a direct appointment sometimes, but its usually a long wait.

You could get a second opinion from a different doctor. Maybe another doctor may feel differently and give you a specialist referral.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health.