Abdominal lump, surgery for incisional hernia, ultrasound showed scar tissue. Do doctors run special tests because they suspect cancer?

I found a lump in my upper abdomen which from theultrasound measured 2cm by 2 cm and I had surgery to remove what they thought was a tumour, on 30 2012 but the surgeon said after surgery it was an incisional hernia and looked like a normal hernia sac and did not think the ultrsound was right but sent off what she said was scar tissue..She sent it to have a pathology report and now I am getting worried, at my follow up she said they are not done and called to find out what happened in surgery as there is sutures, hair etc in it and when she called and said it was routine they indicated they need to run special tests and are not finished... Do they run special tests because they suspect cancer? What esle could it be, my surgeon is on vacation for two weeks and I am going nuts
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

If your surgeon said that she thought this was an incisional hernia then it is extremely unlikely that she has got it wrong. You do not relate a history of having had abdominal surgery but obviously you have had.

I would be very confident that this is not cancer. An incisional hernia can't really be confused with anything else. If it is your history of Cx cancer that's worrying then that is far too long ago to be of any concern. My feeling is that you will be fine.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Abdominal lump, surgery for incisional hernia, ultrasound showed scar tissue. Do doctors run special tests because they suspect cancer? 4 minutes later
Yes I have had a c section and tummy tuck many years ago. Why would a pahtologist have to run special tests
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi again. Thank you for your follow up question.

I do not know why the pathologist would want to run special test or indeed that is necessarily the case. All I know is that, from what you say, you have little or nothing to worry about.

There is a remote possibility of this being a dermoid cyst but hey, don't go there. This is going to be fine.

Hope I have cleared your doubt.

Andrew Rynne. MD