Abdominal flutter close to pubic region. Any ideas?

I have a flutter (a type of vibration) in the lower left part of my abdomen close to the pubic region. I have no other symptoms and consider myself a fit 65 year old male. I excercise and eat well. I am not over weight.
Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 13 hours later

Thanks for the query. You have provided me with good information.

You are experiencing flutter in your lower abdomen close to pubic region with no other symptoms. You also have no medical history of other illnesses.

One explanation for how such symptom might occur is due to intestinal motility. The circular muscle of the intestine is divided into segments about an inch long. To propel digestible material forward, one of these segments contract and the next segment relaxes.

However, if the next segment were to remain contracted or at least partially contracted, the digested food may be forced through a very narrow lumen, creating an effect similar to spraying of an aerosol. If the force is intense enough, the spray can be felt.

Vibrations are probably detected by Pacinian corpuscles, which are located in the connective tissues of the abdomen (mesentery). If the vibrations are intense enough, they can be felt by a hand placed on the abdomen.

Other causes could be due to fasiculations of the pelvic floor muscles or involuntary contraction of the muscle.

If these symptoms are not causing any problem, do not worry. They do not have any medical significance. If they do, you will need to get an opinion of Gastroenterologist.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Abdominal flutter close to pubic region. Any ideas? 16 hours later
Thank so much for the comprehensive response and the detailed diagnosis. Just for your information I did visit my own physician last night and he performed a thorough examination of my abdomen and lower body. He heard no bruits and felt no abnormalities of the liver or spleen.
He thought it was likely a muscle contraction and I think your desciption coincided with his.
Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
Have a good day and take care.
Dr XXXXXXX Lyon (not medical however!)
Answered by Dr. Radhika 8 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

It is good that your physician did a check up and everything turned out fine.

Do not worry and thank you for your appreciation.