A very small node on neck. Is it worth worrying?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My ten year old has a small node on her neck really had to look for it. It doesn't hurt and moves .She is healthy and active.
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
The neck is a region which has numerous lymph glands or nodes called cervical lymph nodes . These lymph nodes are store houses of immune cells of our body and whenever there is any infection or inflammation of the draining areas like face , scalp, ear , nose, throat etc there is increased functioning of these nodes resulting in their enlargement . Such enlarged nodes can be visible or felt in the neck which usually resolve in days,weeks to a month after the treatment / resolution of the infection / inflammation . Sometimes these nodes may signify a malignant cause in which case they are usually fixed immobile increasing in size and number and generalized spreading in nature .
Though one cannot comment on the exact cause without a detailed history and examination of your child , it is most probably not a cause of concern .
Many children commonly have enlarged cervical lymph nodes due to minor orodental conditions , skin or scalp lesions or minor respiratory infections .
In such cases it is likely to resolve soon with or without specific treatment .
However if you notice any changes like increase in size , number, fixity or persistent for more than a month then please get your child examined by a pediatrician to confirm the cause and treat accordingly.
As of now it's not worrisome and doesn't need any active measures.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.