82 years old with sudden presentation on head. Reason?

I am a n 82 yr. old woman. I have a terrible time with sweating on my head only about every three or four hours. The seat drips off my hair and my head it totally dripping.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Climate-related or not; needs investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am.

Thank you for trusting us with your query.

I understand this can be both uncomfortable and frustrating at times. I would like to first ask if this presentation is only seasonal or is present through the year? Could this be climate- or stress-related?

I would like you to know that there a few conditions that can be the cause for a presentation similar to yours, if of course climate is not a factor here. They are: hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), thyroid abnormalities, diabetes, stress, heat exhaustion, etc.

For this we will have to conduct a few investigations that will help with the diagnosis:
-Thyroid profile (to rule out/diagnose thyroid abnormalities to be the cause)
-Glycaemic profile (for diabetes)
-Thermoregulatory sweat test (helps confirming hyperhidrosis)

If the diagnosis is time-consuming your doctor can initiate a course of anti-perspirant's which can reduce the sweat production to quite an extent. But it is best to visit a doctor who will be acquainted with weather conditions and will also be able to conduct a physical examination, which is mandatory in such a scenario.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: 82 years old with sudden presentation on head. Reason? 5 hours later
Thank you for your information.
I shall have some tests done, including thyroid, per your suggestions.
This is not seasonal. And not stress related. It happens about every 3 or 4 hours. And does not involve any part of my body except the head.
I will go to get test done this week.
Again, with appreciation. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test results and consultation with doctor required

Detailed Answer:

I am glad I could be of assistance. Please do write back to me with your test results and I shall guide you from there on. Once we find the cause, you might have to visit a doctor for a one-on-one consultation which would end with prescription medication to treat your condition. As mentioned earlier, a physical examination is mandatory to diagnose hyperhidrosis; the others can be diagnosed through laboratory investigations as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Take care and best of luck XXXXXXX
Follow-up: 82 years old with sudden presentation on head. Reason? 13 hours later
Thank you for your information. I saw doctor yesterday and he is having me do tests, full panel and also for hormones. He took me off of the water pill I was taking for high blood pressure.
I shall have test this week. With appreciation for your help
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Great news; also save my direct link

Detailed Answer:

That is great news, I am sure the tests should help find the cause for the same, and your doctor will also look into your treatment regimen for possible side effects being related to your presentation. Taking the water pill out of your regimen could be for the same reason.

I am glad I could be of assistance, and shall continue to be available anytime you need me. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime in the future as well. Here is my direct link: WWW.WWWW.WW
Best wishes.