8 year child having fever, feeling dizzy and headache. What is causing this and what should I do?

My 8ye old daughter is experiencing fever 102, dizziness, and a headache after a full day at an amusement park. What are some possible causes and when should I be concerned that its something more serious and what should we do in the meantime to make her more comfortable?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and I am sorry about your daughter having fever now.

A temperature of 102 degrees is not a good sign. Please monitor her temperature every second hourly. You may give her Tylenol oral suspension around 5 to 7 ml depending on her weight every 4 hours. In addition, you may wipe her body with normal tap water if the temperature increases more. Do not use cold water for this.

It seems like she has caught a viral fever playing at the park. The other possible cause could be over physical exertion in the park.

If her temperature does not subside even after Tylenol, if her general condition worsens or if she develops cough, please take her to the Pediatrician. You may wait for a day to check improvement of her symptoms.

Hope this helps you. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have. Else, you may accept my answer and write a review.

Wish your daughter a quick recovery.