8 month baby suffering from high grade fever and frequent bowel movement. Any cure?

Hi Dr XXXXXXX my 8 mths old baby suffering from fever high grade(102) since 3 days and noticed he is passing XXXXXXX frothy stools and frequency increased to 4-5 times a day. I haven't changed anything in his diet .right now he is on paracetamol syrup +montelukast .Fever not responding, should i start on antibiotic or not doctor says its pharyngitis. please advise.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 8 hours later

I went through the details submitted. My comments are as follows:

As there is no throat pain, cough or swallowing difficulty… pharyngitis is unlikely unless the doctor saw some specific lesion on throat check. It is unlikely because pharyngitis does not come with loose stools unless some other issue like gut infection or ear infection or some antibiotic use triggered it. As the child is not on any antibiotic and child has loose stools, it suggests the child could have early enteritis manifesting as diarrhea.

Presence of fever for 4 days surely suggests continued infection; but if fever is mild and reducing - viral infection can be the source. Antibiotic is not needed for viral fever.

If the child intake is poor… you need to stress on adequate liquids intake to avoid dehydration. This is most important.

Often if fever doesn't settle in 5 days… there may be possibility of typhoid fever - that may need different antibiotics…

So the bottom line is
- Stress on adequate fluid intake.
- Watch the progress of symptoms. If fever persists for more than 4 days we need start on empirical treatment for typhoid.
- To decide plan of antibiotic… one may need blood test and a throat swab if pharyngitis suspected and also a stool routine test in view of loose motions.
- At present you may continue paracetamol and ensure good intake and good urine output…
There are 15 different groups of antibiotics and all do not work on all microbes.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish him a speedy recovery...

Follow-up: 8 month baby suffering from high grade fever and frequent bowel movement. Any cure? 7 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX , even im of the view that he is not having pharyngitis because there no cough , cold or difficulty in swallowing as per my notice...his food intalke is definatly decreased.

I think even there can possibility of typhoid as day before he developed fever he had outside fruit juice.

Anyways thanks a lot now the picture is quite clear i ll further investigate him.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 7 hours later
Thanks for reply. Typhoid seems to be too early to think of in this case.
Please maintain hydration and follow up with reports.
Thank you.